Friday, September 12, 2014

Running with Endurance



My Bible study this morning brought to memory this post I wrote back in 2013.  It also brought back the reminder to keep my eyes on Jesus!  So much is going on around us these days - we gotta stay focused on Jesus and not be distracted.  (and well, it also reminded me how much I need to get back into running)....

perseverance



Do you find it funny how everything these days is a competition?  Recently I've realized how much pressure is 'in the world' to compete.  It really is sad.....I'm better at this than you or my kid can do this better than your kid or my husband is the BEST at this.....the list continues.  As I typed that list, I didn't feel an ounce of love in any of those statements, did you?  

I'm thankful that the Bible doesn't mention anything about being a good competitor but yet to run a race of endurance.  I enjoy running.  It is a new found passion of mine and last year as I was training for my first 5K I realized that I could not start out the race running as fast as I can but yet, I had to pace myself and that when I first started running, I wasn't able to run 3 miles straight at one time but had to build up my running ability and if I didn't stretch my muscles beforehand and eat properly that I didn't have the stamina to finish my run.  

It's the same with our spiritual walks, isn't it?  We have to stretch our faith and feed on the word to have stamina for this race.  We have to pace ourselves and build up our God given abilities as we 'train' with Jesus.  So, today I am thankful for endurance.  Thankful that God gives me strength to run this race of life every day and that He helps me to not compare myself with others or 'compete' with them but focus on the finish line....eternity with HIM in heaven!!  There's work to be done, friends, may we all press on with endurance and strength!

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  Hebrews 12:1-3



No comments:

Post a Comment