Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pinterest in Real Life: Our Family Bank and Chore System





Morning, chores and homework have been a hassle in our house in the past.  I have tried several different reward/chore systems and so far they have all flopped - yes, even on the FIRST day!  It either works really well for one of my kids and not the other or they both just could care less so it turns into more of a daily burden than a help.  

I love Pinterest  and go there a lot for inspiration.  Recently, I saw THIS pin on a family banking system and thought it was an awesome idea.  I was excited to give it a try because I know it is important for my kids to have responsibilities and to learn to manage money and this family had excellent ideas.  Here's how it works...



Every week lay the chores out on a table face down and they choose 5 each.  An example of the chores they draw from are emptying the dishwasher, feeding the pets, vacuuming, laundry, Mom's choice and even a free day.  They are only allowed one free day per week.


Each day they check off the items with a dry erase marker as they are complete.  (Remember how much I told you I like lists?


Sundays are "pay day".  They are both required to put 10% of their earnings into tithe and 20% into savings; then they are free to do whatever they choose with the remaining 70%. 

This system works wonderfully for our family.  No more complaining about chores and homework because if they choose not to do it, well they don't get paid. 


Do you have a reward/chore system in your home?!?  What works for you? 


Post shared with:
  Weekend Bloggy Reading

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Definitely filing this one away for the future and happily re-Pinning!
    Glad I found you on the Sorry Not Sorry Social!

    ReplyDelete