Thursday, September 12, 2013

Open Letter to Saturday's Waitress


Dear Saturday Night Waitress,

It isn't often that my husband and I get to enjoy time out alone together.  Saturday was a breath of fresh air as we got to enjoy each others company without interruptions, well, that was until we sat down to dinner.

We immediately felt the judgment from you as we ordered water and one entree to split, so much that we joked about it as you left the table; that is the kind of family we are, we try to make light of every situation.  Unfortunately, after being rushed to finish our meal, offered dessert before we ever took the 1st bite of our entree and then brought our check shortly thereafter, the situation was a little harder to ignore.  Then, you trying to charge us for something "extra" on our bill was the icing on the cake.  Although, we smiled and tried to make small talk with you, we felt as though we were a thorn in your side and that you wanted us OUT as soon as possible. 

But, there's something that I want you to know about us, we order water because it is GOOD for us ~ much better than teas and sodas.  Yes, it is free in most restaurants but if you were a guest in our home, you'd be served water or milk, because that is what we drink.  And we split an entree because portions are HUGE these days, and well, you even mentioned it yourself - I have a hard time even eating my half of a split entree.  So, see, we don't split a meal to be "cheap" or not to give you the tip you deserve - it is because that is what works best for our family.

I realize that waitressing is hard and many times you don't receive the tip you deserve.  We could tell that you were concerned about your tip from the very beginning .... and we realize that 20% of 1 entree is much different than 20% of 2 entrees ~ which is why we ALWAYS go over and beyond on our tips because we don't want our waitresses to be short changed.

I'll be honest, we did have the discussion on whether or not to even leave you a tip ~ that was definitely the flesh talking in us, but it is true.  The enjoyment of a meal out together was lessened because of the badgering we experienced to "finish" and get out of there.

But, here is something else you don't know about us ~ we forgive you and we are praying for you.  We realize that we all at times in our lives judge a book by its cover ~ no one is throwing stones at you.  We are praying that you experience such an increase in your tips that you are blown away by the goodness of God.  We pray that God showers you with His love so much that it overflows into the people you serve.  We pray that you are used as a LIGHT into this world and that you are used to increase the joy people experience as they have a meal together. 

With love in Christ,
~Our Family~

PS ~ You work in our favorite restaurant - so it is certain we will see you again ~ and you never know - we might just request your section!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel because this EXACT thing happened to my friend and I in a fancy restaurant last night. The waitress was so friendly and attentive until we decided that since we both wanted soup and a salad, we were only going to split an entree because we weren't hungry enough for a full entree each. Her demeanor quickly changed, and for the rest of the meal, she had a young girl wait on us (the person who usually just fills your water...) - she didn't come back to see us until the end of our meal. We also ordered a dessert. Our bill was still $66, so it's not like we didn't spend much. And we more than overcompensated her with our gratuity. But I was self-conscious during the entire meal, that we were taking up a table in her area. I was with a best friend who I hadn't spent one-on-one time with for years - it was so special, yet detracted from by this waitress who resented our presence. I kept thinking during the meal that I should just apologize up front and tell her that I promise we'd give her a good tip! I was trying to remind myself that although she acted snobby, it could be that she really needs every penny right now and that's why she was so transparent when she realized that we weren't going to have a big-ticket dinner. As you've pointed out before, we never really know what's going on in other peoples' lives. It didn't occur to me to pray for her, though, like you did. What a God-filled way to respond :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can't believe that happened to you too! I'm sorry that it did cause i know it put a damper on your dinner with your friend. Trust me - praying for her wasn't my first reaction (just being honest) but thankfully I controlled my flesh and God did soften my heart towards her and still continues to. Hoping your NEXT dinner is super awesome!!

      Delete